Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Jambo Rafikis! (Hello friends!...man I'm loving Swahili already...)

Hey guys! Only 13 (and almost 12) days until we leave! I am so excited about getting to know all of you, some for the first time, some just better, and sharing this experience. So here's a little about me. :)

1. I am a nerd. I am currently listening to the Lion King soundtrack and earlier I was brushing up on my Swahili, trying to prepare for the trip. Lol. My two biggest discoveries: Rafiki means friend, and simba means lion! (Who knew?!) I have never been to Africa (Have any of us? Can't remember...), so I'm doing my best to be prepared, lol.

2. While this trip is primarily pediatric-focused, I am really not interested in peds nursing. The girls in our IWU group discovered this at the first meeting and have since been giving me a really hard time about hating children. So just to set the facts straight: I DON'T HATE CHILDREN!! In fact, I'm a long time babysitter and I love them. But when it comes to nursing, I prefer 85 year olds. :) Just saying. (and I'm not mad, I promise.)

3. I LOVE zebras. I can't wait to see them on our safari! :)

4. I have lived the last 15 years of my life in Anderson, IN, but I was born in St. Louis and lived a year in Kentucky. There are no nurses in my family (more teachers honestly), so I'm trying to break the mold. I am the third of four children and I adore my family. I currently have a brother who is living and doing mission work in Bahrain, while my older sister and brother in law live in Indianapolis, and my almost-16-year-old sister is living, dramatically, at home with my (apparently) terrible parents. Lol.

5. I'm very outgoing and I love to talk. This will be extremely evident once we meet (if not before then...). :) I also love to dance (like Emily and Lindsay) and am excited about all the fun we'll have alongside of our learning experiences.

6. My favorite color is teal, and I'm likely to be wearing some kind of blue every day. I rarely, if ever, wear pink or orange. Eek.

7. My favorite foods include peanut butter, mac 'n cheese, strawberries, mint chocolate, spinach, and pork steaks. Preferably not all together.

8. My favorite tv shows are The Office and Once Upon a Time. Favorite movies are Pride and Prejudice and The Incredibles. Favorite music--I primarily listen to Christian music but the style depends on my mood; pretty much anything but country is good. Maurice Ravel is my favorite classical composer. Favorite authors are C.S.Lewis and G.K.Chesterton.

I think this is enough to cover the basics and pique all of your interests about my eccentricities. :) See you all in Amsterdam if not before!

No comments:

Post a Comment