Thursday, May 10, 2012

I should probably do this before we get to Kenya...


Hello! My name is Lindsay Britton and I am going to be a senior nursing student at Indiana Wesleyan University.  I am still in the process of unpacking my room from coming home from school, so I have yet to begin the process of packing for Kenya.  There's a lot on my to-do list for tomorrow.  I am from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania and my family is made up of my parents and my older sister, Andrea, who is getting married this August.


I am so excited to go to Kenya!  I signed up for this trip almost immediately, and for a while I was the only student lined up to go with Kandi, but I still felt like it was what I was supposed to do.  I went on several missions trips around the world through my youth group, and they shaped my life more than I could have ever imagined.  This will be my first time going to Africa, and I am not quite sure what to expect, but I find it kind of exciting to not know much! The only thing that was holding me back from this trip was the fact that I will be missing my boyfriend's graduation which is a week from tomorrow.  Luckily, he is incredibly supportive and understanding and was ok with me being in Africa.  I tried to get him to pose for pictures with me the other day in his cap and gown, but he didn't seem to think that was a great idea.  I like pictures, so I will throw in another for you: 


So...some of my favorite things, because everyone else has done that:  I love coffee and loose leaf tea, cardigans and warm scarves, Coldplay and Bon Iver and really all music except country, sushi, peanut butter, laughing, Modern Family and The Office, dancing (but I'm a terrible dancer), piano, learning, and time spent with the people I love.  

Oh, another important fact:  I cry, sometimes a lot.  I am not a basketcase or an emotional wreck, I just have a lot of empathy and so when other people cry or are hurting, I can't help but cry.  And I am really bad at holding in my emotions, so when I am sad or feel like crying, I just let it out.  Emily knows this very well and she says she knows my "pre-crying face"...you will probably all get a chance to see it :) But I smile much more than I cry, so no worries!

I also work as an RA in a freshmen hall at IWU, and it will be my third year as an RA there.  I love my job!

No one in my family is a nurse, and I basically decided on this major because I knew I love people and I love to learn.  As I have gone through the nursing program, I have grown to love nursing and I am so excited to see where God leads me in the field...I have no idea what I want to do with nursing yet, but I am not worrying about that yet.

I can't wait to see you all in Amsterdam and to meet the George Fox girls--we are so excited to get to work with you on this trip!  See you in 3 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment